Friday, October 22, 2010

Tales from the 400 block of Woodcliffe Rd

I spent most of my childhood (1994-2007) on Woodcliffe Rd in Upper Darby, PA. I was a very social kid and had lots of fun, weird and interesting neighbors and experiences I'm willing to share. Here they are, Tales from the 400 Block of Woodcliffe Road...dozo!






Jamaician me scared!
I was maybe 10 or 11 and I played with this girl who was I think was 2 years younger than me and lived on the corner of my block. Her mom was Jamaican and really scared to let her daughter leave the block. One day, I offered to basically babysit her at the playground which was only 1 block away. She agreed. So, we’re at the playground and she wants to get on the kiddie swing. You know, the one you have to sit your kid in. Well those things are built for 8 years. I helped her get in a pushed her. She loved it. 

When it came time to get her out she was stuck. There was no moving her. She freaked out and started screaming and yelling. All my friends and the neighborhood kids that were there came over and tried to help me. I got so scared. I pulled and pulled and began to cry. She was kicking and screaming and kicked me in the face. I fell to the ground. At the time, I didn’t know what happened to me. Looking back on it, I realized I blacked out or fainted or something. I remember feeling like I was asleep. It was like a scene in a movie. I slowly opened my eyes and everything was blurry. When my vision came to, everyone was standing over me staring. 

The little girl was quiet and staring back. She uttered one word. Monster. I didn't know what to do, I panicked and began crying again. I got up and started walking home. I just kept screaming “I have to get her mom! I have to get her mom!” While walking, my friend Nicole Utter got her out of the swing and carried her back home. I was crying to her mom telling her I was sorry and that I didn't mean to get her stuck! Her mom was angry and the little girl just looked at me and again said one word. Monster. 

From that day on, I was known as Monster to this little girl. Even when she got older she still called me monster. They eventually moved because the Stonehurst section of Upper Darby was going downhill fast. And that's when David a.k.a dirty McGirt moved in but he’s a WHOLE ‘nother story that involves eating hard rice in a bowl of water with a fork.

No comments:

Post a Comment