Wednesday, October 13, 2010

"A Thousand Suns" as predicted in 2000*

INT. DINNING ROOM - 2000
DANCY and his younger brother Chris sit at their computers in their South Philadelphia home. Dancy is seen on Napster downloading the latest Eminem song. Chris sits on the opposite side of the dining room bobbing his head to rock music being played at a low volume. Dancy can’t help but notice. He turns to his brother.



DANCY
Hey, what are you listening to?

CHRIS
  I’m listening to this band called Linkin Park. Me and my friend were coming home from Funcoland and going back to his house to play Sonic on Dreamcast. That’s when he told me about this hot new band called Linkin Park.

Chris turns up the volume blasting Linkin Park’s “Crawling


DANCY
Wow, this is some powerful stuff. I wonder if they have a video on TRL.



CHRIS
They do. It came on after this new show called Jackass. They’re really awesome. Everyone calls their music “numetal” They’re like heavy metal and they rap too. It’s awesome.



DANCY
Yeah and their lyrics seem to be very emotional. I like it but I hope it does help spawn a future of “emotional music.”



CHRIS
Like THAT will ever happen. What are they gonna call it “emotional rock?” That’s too long. It’d get shortened down to something lame like EMO.



DANCY
  Yeah, that’ll never happen. I really like this band I hope in 10 years, around September of 2010, they come out with another album that sounds EXACTLY like Hybrid Theory sounds. People will DEFINITELY still be listening to numeatal then.

CHRIS
Yeah man, bands like Limp Bizkit, Korn, Disturbed, Godsmack, Deftones, P.O.D, Papa Roach, Drowning Pool, Static-X, Dope, Saliva, Powerman 5000, Mudvayne, Soulfly, Head, Crazy Town, and Sevendust will NEVER leave behind their numetal roots. How could it ever get old?



DANCY
You’re right! Why would a band EVER change how they sound? Can you imagine if this band taking their sound in a different direction sometime in 2007?



CHRIS
Yeah that’d be GAY! Can you imagine them ever evolving into something new!? That’s outrageous! My little 11 year old brain can’t even process it!



DANCY
I know. But now that I think about it, 2010 is like really really far away. I mean I’ll be 24 in 2010. I’ll be an old man with like a wife and 4 kids and no sexual desires to be with a man. Things will be different then.



CHRIS
They can’t be THAT much different.



DANCY
  Well since it’s the future, lots of the music may become electronic. What if Linkin Park decides they want to take their band in a new direction?



CHRIS
Why would they do that? They’re numetal! Numetal will still be the hottest thing on the radio in 2010.



DANCY
I know man but hear me out. What if they like, want to evolve their sound or something. What if they make a song that was called something like “When They Come For Me” or something like “Robot Bot” Can you imagine how those songs would sound!? They wouldn't have much guitar in them. How are they supposed to be metal without any guitar!?

CHRIS
  I know. A song like Robot boy would just be like some pussy ass ballad with a bunch of piano. Now that’s NOT rock! I bet all their new music would just sound like pop bullshit because in 2010, any music done electronically is OBVIOUSLY going to be considered pop music.



DANCY
You are so right my 11 year old sibling. I mean really, if this band that I just heard of a few minutes ago DID decide to change their sound in 2010 by chance, who are they to do so? I’M the fan! They should make the music I want to hear!

CHRIS
I KNOW! It’s gonna be the future dude! There’s going to be Dreamcast 3, Holographic movies, Britney Spears will be married with children and not crazy at all! So imagine how Linkin Park would be. If they EVER add anything electronic to their music they are sell outs who just want to make pop music.

DANCY
  Now I don’t know if I’d go that far dear brother. You are but a wee 11 year old. In 10 years, you may still be a fan of Linkin Park and STILL like their music. You see brother Chris, if you were some 16 year old who discovered Linkin Park in 2008 and you listened to Hybrid Theory and Meteroa (which MAY be the name of their next album 2002) and you just thought they were some numetal or heavy rock band, then you’d of course be upset if in 2010 they’d come out with an electronic/rock album. I should know, I’m 13.

CHRIS
But how would a band go from a song like “One Step Closer” to a song that they may make called “The Catalyst” Everything about that song screams synth bullshit.

DANCY
Well my foul-mouthed brother, even though I’ve only known about this band for maybe 5 minutes now, I think I recall seeing an interview with the band explain how they aren’t just some 1 genre band and how they do indeed plan to mix up their music a bit in the future.

CHRIS
  Ya know, that would be very evident if they did some kind of collaboration CD with someone like, I dunno, Jay-Z maybe. They could call it….COLLISION COURSE! Thats s a good name!

DANCY
  Indeed sir. Chris, I just think people in 2010 who will hate their album are the same people who will compare them to Metallica and several other heavy metal bands. They will lump Linkin Park in the same category as Pantera. 

CHRIS
Now that’s just silly. They’re not a metal band.



DANCY
No, but they’re a NUMETAL band now. It’s the year 2000 Chris. Numetal is all the rage! Do you think that over exposure on the radio will kill numetal? No. It will live forever. And people in 2010 will expect numetal to live forever.



CHRIS
  Wow so what are you saying exactly?



DANCY
At this point Chris, I have no idea. I think I’m saying that Bands are allowed to change their sounds. It’s no point in calling them a sell out to mainstream music especially when a band sounds NOTHING like what’s played on mainstream radio….in 2010. Which I assume will be 16 year old Canadian pop singers, girls in meat dresses, and auto-tund everything.



CHRIS
Cher has that ONE auto-tuned song. No way auto-tune will catch on.



DANCY
  Oh you naïve 11 year old living in the year 2000, Hip-hop just may be on the rise again in the late 2000s and their just may be a rapper that decides to adapt auto-tune and make it mainstream. But who knows it’s only 2000! These are just my thoughts.



CHRIS
So what you’re basically saying to anyone who may hate Linkin Park’s future album is shut the fuck up.



DANCY
Yes Chris. This is why you’re my brother.



CHRIS
True. True. Hey Dancy, I hope we both grow up loving women. Wouldn’t that be cool.



DANCY
It’d be swell! No way we both would grow up to be FAGS! 2 gays in the family!? HA unheard of!! Now let’s go back to rockin some of this hip never going out of style numeatal.

The pair switch the track to “in the end” and ROCK OUT!!







*Actual event may or may not have occurred...

No comments:

Post a Comment